Meghan Markle, aka the Duchess of Sussex, is rarely seen without her trademark messy bun hair style.
Since the moment she stepped out on the arm of Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s style choices have been closely examined—and imitated—the world over. Whether heading to a meet-and-greet with royal fans or even walking one of the many red carpets she is invited to attend, a “messy” low bun has become her go-to hair style—and we can’t get enough of it.
We’re used to seeing our royals with tidy chignons, perfect blow drys (Kate, we’re looking at you!) and not a hair out of place. Yet Meghan’s low-maintenance approach has been a breath of fresh air – and better still, completely achievable for us to recreate at home ourselves, without the need for a full royal glam squad.
We teamed up with StyleHQ.co.nz and Silver Bullet creative director Damian Jones to bring you a step-by-step guide to recreating Meghan’s look at home.
How to recreate Meghan Markle’s messy bun
3. To create volume and movement, apply Silver Bullet Mastercurl Hot Rollers. Add in one at a time by dividing the hair into small 2.5cm sections and rolling upwards towards the scalp, before securing.
4. Wait until the rollers have cooled completely to ensure the curl has properly set. Remove hot rollers and gently break up the curls with your fingers.
5. Leave the front sections of hair out while pulling the rest back into a loose half ponytail. Twist and pin in place using 999 Bobby Pins, before securing both sections together with a Mia Elastics elastic band. Tip: Choose a hair elastic the same colour as your hair.
6. Sweep the front strands back and loosely pin into ponytail. Twist your ponytail and roll up into a bun, securing with bobby pins. Don’t worry if bits of hair stick out of the bun – let your natural texture do its thing!
7. Pull out small strands at the front and twirl around your finger to create a subtle curl. Set final hair style with a setting spray such as Affinage Flexible Spray.