Apple today announced the features of the new iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus at their conference in San Francisco – here’s what you need to know:
– The phones will be available in two new finishes – gloss black and black. This will be in addition the existing finishes of gold, rose gold and silver.
– Design will remain the same as the current 6 and 6 Plus models – with 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch “Plus” screen sizes.
– They won’t have a traditional headphone jack. Instead Apple will provide wired EarPods with a 3.5mm to lightning adaptor with each phone which connects through the charging dock.
– Apple are also releasing their new AirPods – wireless headphones that have infrared sensors that detect when they’re in your ear and only play then.
– The phone is water and dust resistant.
– It features stereo speakers.
– Apple says the battery in the new 7 phone will last two hours longer than the 6 and the 7 Plus battery will last one hour more than the 6 Plus.
– The camera has had a major upgrade, with optical image stabilisation and a 6 element lens with f/1.8 aperture. The iPhone 7 has a single lens camera; the 7 Plus has a dual lens camera (wide angle and telephoto) which will allow for improved long-range photos. The 7 Plus also has a new ‘portrait’ effect which will add depth of field to photos.
– Storage options have been increased to 32GB, 128GB and 256GB.
– The home button has been modified to give feedback for messages, notifications and rings.
New Zealand will be one of the first countries to get the new iPhones and orders will be taken from Friday 9 September. Phones will be shipped from Friday 16 September.
iPhone 7S Plus