To nail a gorgeous glow and maintain great skin long-term, stock your summer beauty arsenal with clever modern products that are quick and efficient and make a good day even better, whether you’re doing summer in the city or setting up a second home on the sand.
SHIELD YOUR FACE
Protect your skin from harmful UVA (ageing) and UVB (burning/cancer-causing) rays with sunscreen — it’s more effective than any other skincare product at keeping your skin in great shape for longer. Whether mineral-based or a chemical formulation, new options absorb well and won’t interfere with makeup applied on top.
• Clinique SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen Fluid for Face, $50
• Lancôme UV Expert Milky Bright SPF50 PA+++, $81
• La Roche-Posay Anthelios-XL SPF 50+ Tinted-Fluid, $32
• Kiehl’s Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50, $62
• Dermalogica Super Sensitive Shield SPF30, $92
Swap blush for bronzer to create radiant, warm-weather vibes. Sweep over high planes of the face with a fluffy face brush.
• Osmosis Bronzer, $88
• The Balm Betty-Lou Manizer Bronzer, $43
• Marc Jacobs O! Mega Bronzer, $72
• Tom Ford Bronzing Powder, $172
• Guerlain Terracotta bronzer, $106
GO OUT ON A LIMB
Need a top-up tan? Grab a commitment-free product designed to quickly add colour without precise application. A glossy liquid bronzer or cream highlighter on the collarbones and the centre of shins gives a flattering, dimensional finish.
• Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Lotion, $30
• By Terry Tea to Tan Face & Body, $135
Hair removal is top of the pre-beach to-do list. If you get in your swimsuit and find you’ve missed a bit, tiny wax strips will do the job. Or, give the area a quick once-over with an ultra-sharp razor using shaving cream to provide glide so you’ll avoid redness and bumps.
The sun is at its highest around midday — perfect for a dip. But before you do, and after you emerge? Protect your body by smoothing or spraying on your SPF. Don’t skimp on application! If you’re using lotion, you need around 1tsp for your face and a shot-glass size amount for your whole body. Err on the side of overdoing it when it comes to clear sprays.
• Bondi Sands Coconut Beach Sunscreen Oil SPF 30, $22
• Daylong Suntivity Liposomal Sunscreen SPF 50+, $38
• My Sunshine Natural Sunscreen SPF 30, $60
• Neutrogena Beach Defence Water + Sun SPF 50, $25
• Coola Citrus Mimosa Mineral Sport Sunscreen Spray SPF 30, $55
Dry, ashy heels won’t do those Gucci mules any favours. A once-over with a genius electric pedicure tool will smooth the situation. Add a touch of body cream and a lick of polish and you’re ready to go — once it dries!
• Scholl Velvet Smooth Wet & Dry Foot File, $50
• Sally Hansen Colour Therapy Nail Polish in Haute Springs, $17.99
• Essie Gel Couture NailLacquer in Looks To Thrill, $19
TIME TO LAYER UP
Adding sunscreen in layers is unappealing but important. A mineral powder sunscreen can be added over makeup and is ideal for protecting your hair parting too. A colour-and-care balm for lips will feel lush.
• Brush on Block SPF30 in Original Translucent, $45
• Coola Mineral Liplux SPF 30 in Summer Crush, $32
• Lanolips Tinted Balm SPF30, $18
Post dinner is the best tan-time, to allow for annoying air-drying. Take your time applying and nix streaks by working with great tools: a velvet mitt, a back applicator (you can make one using a mitt secured on a spatula with a hair tie), moisturiser for your knees and ankles, and a hairdryer on cool to dry it off. Crucial to the process of course is a reliable tanning product.
• Eco Tan Face Tan Water, $40
• Bondi Sands Self Tanning Foam in Ultra Dark, $25
• Little Honey Flawless Bronzing Mist, $45
• St. Tropez Self Tan Express Bronzing Mist, $56
• Manuka Doctor Anti-Cellulite Bronzing Gel, $35
A busy day that’s meant no beach, no tan and no time nor energy left for beauty maintenance? Enter the new-gen St. Tropez Self Tan Express Facial Sheet Mask, $16. It delivers a hydrating serum and a subtle golden tan for your face and décolleté. Remove after 10 minutes, massage in residual serum and wake up with a tropical-holiday glow.
TIP: Bondi Sands’ new Tan Eraser, $25, will evenly remove old tan so you can re-start the process with a blank canvas.
Smooth on liberally, leave for five minutes, then rinse off, using a cloth to encourage tan to lift from around knees and ankles.
TIP: Want to hit the hay sooner? Speed drying time by dusting baby powder over damp skin after applying your new tan to remove the stickiness. If you’ve used a tinted product, try a Tanzee art-silk sleeping bag to save your sheets from stains.