Ooh la la, it’s Bastille Day, the day we love to celebrate all things French.
But you needn’t clear your schedule and empty out your bank account to enjoy all that France has to offer – today, or any day. Here’s our step-by-step guide to having a très chic weekend here in Nouvelle-Zélande:
1. Ease into the weekend… with a low-key but indulgent Friday night of French wine and fromage. L’Atelier du Fromage (formerly C’est Fromage) is a one stop shop for all of your wine, cheese, and charcuterie needs.
L’Atelier du Fromage, 3-5 McColl St, Newmarket.
2. They call Paris the City of Lights, so light up your home with a luxury candle from French cult-classic brand Diptyque.
Diptyque Feu de Bois Candle, $89 at Mecca Cosmetica.
3. Candle lit, and wine in hand, it’s time to curl up with a copy of How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are. This FQ fave is co-authored by four stunning and accomplished Parisian women, and contains their very original views on style, beauty, culture, attitude and men.
How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are, $39.99 at Paper Plus.
4. It’s Saturday morning, so throw on a pair of Celine sunglasses and head…
Celine New Audrey sunglasses, $459 at Sunglass Bar.
5. …to market, to market! Saturdays are made for wandering around the food stalls and shopping for fresh produce at Parnell’s famous La Cigale. If you’re feeling a little worse for wear, the croque-monsieur is the perfect pick me up.
La Cigale, 69 St Georges Bay Road, Parnell.
6. FYI: No self-respecting Frenchwoman would be caught dead running errands in heels. Twisted ankles are so passé, slip into a pair of Repetto ballet flats and get ready for an afternoon of boutique shopping.
Repetto Cendrillon Ballerinas in Flammy Red Goatskin Suede, 195 EUR from repetto.com
7. Shop for cult Parisian brand Maison Labiche at FABRIC: Maison Labiche Fabric tee, $105
8. And then… Shop for French brands Equipment, IRO and American Vintage at Remuera boutique, Maman.
9. Stash your small purchases in the Kenzo Galaxy camera bag, $550 at Runway Shoes
10. Come Saturday night, go all out at The French Cafe. It’s not your stereotypical French fare but we couldn’t help ourselves. Where else could you wear…
The French Café, 210 Symonds St, Eden Terrace
11. A showstopping… Lanvin crepe wrap jumpsuit, approx. AUD $1,864 from THEOUTNET.COM (hey, they might not be local but their shipping is so quick they might as well be!)
12. Just like Paris, Sunday brunch at Torchon is always a good idea.
Torchon, 39 Elliot St, Auckland CBD
13. And with the New Zealand International Film Festival kicking off in Auckland from today, a French film is about to become the ideal Sunday afternoon activity.
New Zealand International Film Festival, 14 July-6 August 2016
“Vive la France! Vive la République!”