We’re moving on from Ariana Grande’s high ponytail with these stunning hair looks.
As if the head-turning fashion from the Oscars wasn’t enough to have us hooked, the red carpet hair and beauty took the style game to the next level and had us even more invested in all the action.
With so many incredible hair looks to choose from, we had to narrow down our top three that we’d happily recreate time and time again.
We teamed up with StyleHQ.co.nz and Silver Bullet’s creative director Damian Jones to bring you step-by-step guides to recreating these key looks at home.
Gemma Chan’s low messy bun
There’s no denying Gemma Chan completely stole the show in her eye-popping fuchsia Valentino gown, but the drama didn’t stop there. The Crazy Rich Asians star took a leaf out of Meghan Markle’s style playbook and opted for a low messy bun – when teamed with couture, this nonchalant approach to her hair looks anything but casual.
Here’s how to recreate this look:
Shop: Theorie Charcoal Bamboo Detoxifying Shampoo, $33, and Theorie Charcoal Bamboo Detoxifying Conditioner, $33 – both from StyleHQ.
2. Spray Not Your Mothers Clean Freak Dry Shampoo onto dry hair and scrunch in to create a second-day hair feel (adding some ‘grit’ and texture to your hair will make it easier to style). Allow to dry.
4. Dishevel strands of hair with your fingers and apply Fanola Styling Tools Eco Spray Strong Lacquer to fix into shape and hold.
Shop from left to right: Not Your Mothers Clean Freak Dry Shampoo $26, Dress Me Up large hair donut, $14, 999 Bobby Pins, $6, and Fanola Styling Tools Eco Spray Strong Lacquer $22- all from StyleHQ.
Irina Shayk’s sleek bob
A hair star was born at the 2019 Oscars with Irina Shayk’s sleek bob capturing all the attention and making us seriously consider going for the big chop. A sleek bob treads the line between classy and sexy and we are all over it!
Want to recreate it yourself? Of course you do, here’s how:
Shop: 12 Reasons Marula Oil Shampoo, $22, and Conditioner, $22 – both from StyleHQ.
3. Divide hair in half and tie top half in a top knot. Divide remaining hair into small sections and run Silver Bullet Elysium 230 Infrared Hair Straightener over each strand, straightening the hair but also allowing some sleek movement. Remove top knot and repeat the process with top half of hair.
4. Finish the look by applying a light dusting of Keratin Complex Flex Flow Flexible Shaping Hairspray
Shop: Keratin Colour Defend My Colour Serum, $26; Parlux 385 Power Light Ceramic Hairdryer, $290, Silver Bullet Titanium 230 Infrared Hair Straightener, $209 and Keratin Complex Flex Flow Flexible Shaping Hairspray, $34.99 all from StyleHQ.
Amy Adams’ classic glamour waves
Classic glamorous waves are a classic for a reason and trust us when we say they’ll never go out of style. If you’re looking for a hairstyle that you can repeat over and over again, this is it.
Here’s how to recreate the look yourself:
Shop: Fanola Nutri Care Restructuring Shampoo, $24; and Conditioner , $24- both from StyleHQ.
3. Using a Silver Bullet Easy Curl Iron, wrap large and randomly selected sections of hair around the barrel (facing the iron downwards) to create movement.
4. Once all sections are done, leave hair to sit and cool naturally before touching.
5. Finish with a light dust of Theorie Argan Oil Medium Hold Finishing Hairspray.
Shop: Not Your Mothers Texturizing Sea Salt Spray, $22; Silver Bullet K2 Hairdryer, $175; Silver Bullet Easy Curl Iron, $116; Theorie Argan Oil Medium Hold Finishing Hairspray, $29; all from StyleHQ.
This article is brought to you in partnership with StyleHQ.co.nz