More Than Skin Deep: Lancôme educator Brittany Hanchard on addressing common beauty concerns

25 September 2023
By Fashion Quarterly

Our regular series continues with Melbourne-based Brittany Hanchard, an educator who can teach us a thing or two.

In conversation with Brittany Hanchard

I began working with Lancôme six-and-a-half years ago, starting in an artistry role before discovering my passion for all things education. My favourite part of my current role as Australia’s national educator for the brand is that every week is different. I also love the opportunity it gives me to travel and connect with Lancôme’s beauty advisors throughout the country.

My mum played a huge role in my love of make-up and skincare. I initially became interested in it through her passion for the creativity that comes along with it — that’s why I always wanted to be a make-up artist. One of my first and favourite memories is of my mum doing my make-up for me. She used the same lipstick on my eyelids, cheeks and lips, which actually ended up being one of the make-up looks I did the first time I worked at Australian Fashion Week!

I was very regimented with my skincare from a young age. I started working in the beauty industry when I was 15, after studying beauty therapy, so I learned the importance of a routine early on. Still, if I could go back in time and tell my younger self something, I’d encourage her to wear sunscreen every single day. Having grownup in North Queensland, I wish I’d been more vigilant in applying it — even in winter.

The most common skin concerns I hear about relate to ageing and dehydration — and the two go together. Since only 20% of skin ageing is hereditary, that leaves 80% of it in our hands. Having a regular skincare routine is important to maintain the quality and health of your skin. I always recommend including a serum, as they penetrate deeply, a moisturiser, a good-quality eye cream and, of course, SPF50 sunscreen.

As well as drinking plenty of water, I’m very consistent about my routine. Every morning, I use Lancôme Clarifique Dual Essence toner, Lancôme Advanced Génifique serum, Lancôme Rénergie HCF Triple Serum, Lancôme Rénergie HPN moisturiser, Lancôme Génifique Yeux Light-Pearl Eye & Lash Concentrate, Lancôme Absolue Revtalizing Eye Cream and Lancôme UV Expert sunscreen.

To me, beauty means having the ability to express yourself as an individual. It has the power to make you feel like the best, most confident version of yourself. I love classic beauty that isn’t overdone, so Audrey Hepburn is up there with my favourites. I also love Cindy Crawford — the way she’s embraced her natural beauty as she ages is really aspirational.


Lancôme Rénergie HCF Triple Serum, $228, Teint Idole Ultra Wear, $84, and Advanced Génifique Youth Activating Concentrate, $226, from Farmers.

This article was originally published in Fashion Quarterly‘s Spring 2023 issue. 


Sign up & Join
FQ Insider

Unlock exclusive content, behind-the-scenes insights, and special offers by becoming an FQ Insider.

Fashion Quarterly Winter 2023 Cover
Fashion Quarterly Winter 2023 Cover

Sign up & Join
FQ Insider

Unlock exclusive content, behind-the-scenes insights, and special offers by becoming an FQ Insider.

Fashion Quarterly Summer 2024 Authenticity Issue ROS House Ads

Sign up to the Fashion Quarterly newsletter.

*Ts&Cs apply.
Find out more at