FQ fashion editor Danielle Clausen solves your style dilemmas
Q. I’m a sucker for tailored pieces and have spotted two-piece suits with shorts and skirts popping up in the latest collections. I’d love to try one out as the weather warms up, but how do I do so without feeling frumpy?
A. Although the thought of pairing a blazer with a garment that sits near the knee may conjure up visions of school uniforms, this twee union can be surprisingly chic. Start by working out which hemline feels right for you; comfort is key here, so opt for a length you won’t end up tugging at all day. Juliette Hogan’s roomy shorts with their elastic waistband and pleats through the front provide a lovely sense of ease, while weekend-ready co-ords come in the form of Kowtow’s unbleached denim two-piece and Moochi’s utilitarian rendition. Internationally, Acne Studios’ spring 2019 collection is a lesson in the aesthetic benefits of keeping things tonal, proving that an experimental silhouette often works best when colour and pattern take a back seat. Read on for ways to take a spring suit for a spin in any scenario.
At the office…
- Hold off on micro lengths — shorts or skirts that hit just above or on the knee are best.
- Seal the deal with immaculate accessories. A chunky belt or weighty watch means business.
- Balance showing a bit of leg with a no-nonsense white shirt. The Harris Tapper design seen here is one of the season’s sharpest.
In the evening…
- A camisole is ideal underneath, but don’t underestimate the elegance of a turtleneck either.
- Don sheer black stockings and a pair of killer heels à la Alexander Wang pre-fall 2018.
- Plain gold jewellery adds low-key sparkle; remember, your suit is the superstar here.
Harris Tapper shirt, $460; Louis Vuitton heels, $330; Christian Dior bag, $4800 and strap, $2850; Deadly Ponies belt, $165
For the weekend…
- Keep it casual by pairing your twin set with a retro T-shirt.
- Go for sneakers to give this look a sporty spin, or leg-lengthening ankle boots with a heel.
- You’re going to need a bag, so why not make it a playful one? Net bags are the cane basket’s successor and the perfect farmers market companion.
Got a burning sartorial question or not sure what to wear for your next big event? Send your dilemmas to [email protected].