Don’t let poor hygiene and health hazards derail your pamper session.
Celebrity nail artist Leah Light gets real on what to look for when choosing a safe and reputable nail studio.
- A spotless salon with clean and tidy surfaces
- Proudly displayed certificates of training for all staff working on clients
- A good social media library that showcases work from all the staff
- Stylists who spend time talking with you about what you need and want.
- Products designed to protect and grow the natural nail are used. We put an emphasis on great-quality products and education on what you can do at home to grow amazing natural nails — the long game is our focus!
- A dusty and unclean salon
- The reusing of nail files without removing filings and disinfecting after each use. We have new disposable files for each client
- The clipping of cuticles. Cutting living tissue such as the cuticle qualifies as minor surgery and is illegal in many countries
- Use of electric files on the natural nail or to remove gel polish
- Pedicure stations with whirlpool pumps. Pedi pumps cannot be cleaned properly, raising the risk of infection
- Extremely cheap services on offer — if it looks too good to be true, it probably is